Friday, October 05, 2007

beginning of an era

Just one today. Dear old 20k. I should really buy that movie. Below is something cross-posted from LJ. Something about PROGRESS.



Today brought a number of breakthroughs for me, artistically. I'm going to update that 2008 manifesto I posted here almost a month ago.

In 2008, I will create my first graphic novel.
In 2008 I will create the first act of my first graphic novel format epic.

The project is called Pieces of Eight, abbreviated as PO8, which is also code for Project 2008. Funny how things work out.

It has nothing to do with pirates or gold or buried treasure.

I'm not doing it for fame. I'm not doing it for love. I'm not doing it for money, or a publishing deal or for Art.
But if any of those things happen, I will not complain.

I'm doing it to get my feet wet. I'm doing it to get my hands dirty. I'm doing it to learn. I'm doing it to grow. I'm doing it to accomplish it.
None of this has changed.

Over the next four months I will plot and script and thumbnail. In the next four months I will draft a schedule for posting pages during the coming year. And I will stick to that schedule.
One of those months has passed. I thought I'd be done with plotting and scripting. I'm not. I'm almost done with act/book one. It's longer than I expected. Over the next day or so I will finish scripting this section, then will do double duty as I write/script act two (and beyond!) and thumbnail act one. After I move, I'll start producing pages. Thumbnails will tell me how long book one will be, but I'm guessing it'll work out to two-to-three pages per week.

At the end of 2008 I will pump my fist in the air, proclaim "I have done it!", and, in the light of my accomplishment and confidence, a world of possibilities will open up before me.
I'll do that, then buckle down to continue the story. I might re-evaluate the production pace and I might re-evaluate the methods of distribution. Who knows!

At the end of 2008 I will know I can tell a story. In 2009 I will work on telling good stories.
If my husband is to be trusted, I can already tell a good story. At least the beginning of one.

I really wish there was some way to share my writing progress and get feedback before hand about the things that would be easy fixes, or difficult fixes that absolutely MUST be done. But it's a tall order for me to type it all up with no promise of any return.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 10:02 AM , Blogger Lucy said...

Way to go Annie. I like the bit about getting your feet wet.
BTW, I've just had an enjoyable mooch about at Reagan's. I could have told him I was ther but he's got his own friends to play with, so I thought I'd tell you instead!

 
At 3:09 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

annie, you seem to be making first-rate progress. I do think people are almost always wrong about the "size" of what they're about to do...

As for that buggish feeling, it will probably pass. I'm the queen of buggish feelings, as my children bring home both yucky ones and little mild not-feeling-right ones. I prefer good health, but the viruses outnumber us.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home