Monday, March 07, 2011

Quiet Moments

It's nice to have some place to be alone on the internet. It's somewhat passé to have a personal blog or journal on the internet, and I don't know if i'd be better off posting in private. But I do so much writing in private. I was prepared to compare this space, my creation of it, my dominance of it, to Summer's apartment in (500) Days of Summer, but now I'm imaging it having more in common with a picnic for one in a forgotten--but stil lovely--public garden.

I like the breathing space of this large text box blogger offers me, compared to the one or two lines in Facebook or Twitter. And no risk of truncation if my poetics run long. I poked my head into yer olde tweet can a couple times today after another extended absence, and didn't much like the smell of the place. Pictures and links stacked like cordwood, retweets and name-drops all shouting for attention.

I've been 'turned off' by the internet a lot lately, and the insidious way I let technology dominate my life. This is a theme I will write more on soon. For now I return to the darkness and the silence, hoping sleep finds me soon.

Or, more realistically, I'll spend time doing that isolated sort of writing reserved for lightless rooms and locked diaries.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home